How to get a Birth Certificate AND new passport application?


Applications for birth registration and new Vietnamese passport for a Vietnamese child born in the United States can be done TOGETHER or SEPARATELY. At least ONE of the parents must be Vietnamese and possesses a valid Vietnamese passport.


Required documents:


- Birth Registration application form (download here).


- A copy of US birth certificate.


- Copies of parents’ passports (ID page and US visa page).


- Certificate of marriage of parents.


- A copy of the child’s US passport/US Green Card/ US valid visa (if any).


- Parents' mutual agreement on selection of Vietnamese nationality for the child (signed in front of and notarized by Public Notary) if one of the parents is a foreigner (not having a Vietnamese passport). Download here.


- Application form for a new passport (download here).


- 02 new-ly taken photos.


- A MONEY ORDER or CASHIER’S CHECK for the fees made out to “Embassy of Vietnam”.


- A self-addressed prepaid return envelope (if you wish to receive your expired and new passport sent back by mail). To ensure safe delivery of your application package and new passport, it is recommended that you use certified mail service offered by USPS, UPS and FedEx with tracking number to check on delivery status. The Embassy shall not be responsible for any loss of documents due to insecure and uncertified mailing service.


Processing time:


Within 03-05 business days after all required documents are submitted (extra time may be required for further background check/verification for application with inadequate or inaccurate information).


Contact information:


- Address: 1233 20th Street NW, Suite 400, Washington D.C 20036


- Business hours: 9:00 A.M – 12:00 P.M and 02:00 P.M - 04:30 P.M from Monday through Friday. The Embassy is closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and during Viet Nam and United States holidays.


- Telephone: 202-861-0737 ext. 123.


- Fax: 202-861-0917


- Email:


* In case of emergency, you may contact the Embassy's hotlines at 202-716-8666.