A. GENERAL REGULATIONS
1. Vietnamese oversea who is not yet lost their Vietnamese citizenship and not having a Vietnamese valid passport in accordance with Vietnamese Law prior to July 1st 2009, if they desire to retain Vietnamese citizenship.
2. Registration to retain Vietnamese citizenship is implemented until July 1st 2014. Later than this due date, persons mentioned at point 1 who do not register to retain Vietnamese citizenship, will be lost their Vietnamese citizenship.
B. PROCEDURES FOR REGISTRATION TO RETAIN VIETNAMESE CITIZENSHIP:
- a notarised copy of the following Vietnamese documents:
+ Birth Certificate;
+ Personal Identification;
+ Expired Vietnamese passport;
+ The Decision to be Vietnamese Citizenship, the Decision to return for Vietnamese citizenship, the Decision on recognition of adoptions for children who are foreigners, the Decision to permit foreigners to adopt Vietnamese children.
- Fees: Pay by MONEY ORDER or CASHIER’S CHECK to ‘EMBASSY OF VIETNAM”.
- A prepaid return envelope with specific sender’s address, if the applicant requests the documents be returned by mail; using Express Mails by USPS - United States Postal Service or USPS Priority with confirmation delivery, certified mail or FedEx with the tracking numbers.
For further information, please contact the Visa Section of the Embassy:
Opening hours: 9:30 AM – 12:00 PM or 02:30 PM - 05:00 PM Monday through Friday.
Contact No: (202) 861- 0737, ext. 122
Fax: 202 861 0917
Address: 1233 20th Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington DC 20036.